Paid Time Off (PTO)
PTO is calculated by the:
- After 6 months of employment, employees are entitled to 25 days of paid annual leave.
- After 25 years of employment with the same employer, the entitlement is 30 days of paid annual leave.
There are 13 public holidays.
The duration of sick leave entitlement provided to workers is dependent on how long they have been employed by their employer:
- 1 year of employment- 6 weeks
- 2-15 years of employment- 8 weeks
- 16-25 years of employment- 10 weeks
- 26+ years of employment- 12 weeks
Any sick leave beyond the above entitlement is covered by social security.
Maternity leave is for 16 weeks in Austria and can start from 8 weeks prior to the expected due date. For high-risk births, leave after the birth is extended to 12 weeks.
Maternity leave is paid by social security and is based on the average earnings of the last 3 months before the maternity leave begins.
Fathers are entitled to 1 month of unpaid paternity leave and can be taken until the child reaches the age of 24 months.