Paid Time Off (PTO)
Employees are entitled to 15 days of vacation after their first year of service.
There are 12 public holidays.
Sick pay is either paid by the employer or social security, depending on the reason for the sickness, and is paid at 50% of the regular pay rate.
The length of sick pay depends on the length of employment:
- 2–6 months of employment- 1 month of paid sick leave
- 6-9 months or employment– 2 months of paid sick leave
- 9+ months or employment- 3 months of paid sick leave
- If the employee has not recovered by the time that the sick leave is over, the employment agreement is automatically suspended (“total suspension”) and all employer and employee obligations are put on hold. In this case, the employee may terminate the employment agreement, however, the employer may not unless under just cause.
- In addition, the employer may seek to fill the employee’s duties on a temporary basis which can be terminated upon the return of the employee.
Mothers are entitled to 84 days of maternity leave starting from 30 days before the expected due date.
In the event of a miscarriage or stillbirth, the mother is entitled to 42 days of paid leave.
There are no provisions in the law regarding paternity leave.