Paid Time Off (PTO)
PTO is calculated by the:
- Up to two years of employment: 8 days per year
- Between 2 to 5 years: 12 days per year
- 5+ years: 16 days per year
There are 6 compulsory public holidays and 10 optional public holidays (employer should choose at least 5 of these but it is common for offices to close on all).
State day is a compulsory public holiday and the day varies from state to state. All other holidays are national.
The duration of sick leave entitlement provided to workers is dependent on how long they have been employed by their employer:
- Up to two years of employment: 14 days per year
- Between 2 to 5 years: 18 days per year
- 5+ years: 22 days per year
Female employees are covered in full by the employer for a least 90 days if they have been employed in the last four months and have worked for the same employer for at least 90 days in the 9 months prior to childbirth.
There are no provisions in the law regarding paternity leave for the private sector, however, in the public sector, fathers are entitled to 7-14 days.