Paid Time Off (PTO)
All employees, except temporary or casual employees, contracted to work for 12 months or more are entitled to annual paid leave calculated at a rate of two days per month or 24 days per year.
There are 14 public holidays.
The duration of sick leave entitlement is based on the following:
- In order to avail fully paid leave, the worker must provide a valid medical certificate.
- The length of paid sick leave depends on the type of employment contract.
- An employee on the short-term contract is paid full pay for the first 26 working days of the sick leave and thereafter, half pay (50%) for the next 26 working days of the sick leave.
- An employee on the long-term contract is paid full pay during the first three months of the sick leave and thereafter, half pay for the next three months of the sick leave.
- Long term contracts are all such contracts with duration in excess of 12 months.
- If an employee does not recover from illness after six months from the date of accident/illness, employer may discharge such an employee on the recommendation of a registered medical doctor.
In Zambia, under the Employment Code Act, under the provisions of section 41, if the female employee with at least two years of continuous service is entitled for 14 weeks' maternity leave with full pay.
Fathers who have one year of continuous service with their employers are entitled to 5 days of paternity leave, to be taken within 7 days of the birth of the child.